What causes lower abdominal pain while on Verapamil?

Dr. Ramesh Kumar

Gastroenterologist

Posted on Tue, 4 Apr 2017 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: I have been having continuing left waist side pain and lower front abdomen pain on the left side o. I have had a barium enemia, a colonoscopy and a upper endoscopy with my throat stretched and 2n colon polyps with diverticulosis. I have had ulccerative colitis for several years. In January of last year my heart Dr. changed one of my blood pressure medicines to Chorthalidone from Verapamil. In the next month my regular doctor had started me on 60 meq potassium daily. By the end of March I couldn't go to the bathroom without large doses of laxatives. I called my heart Dr. and told him of my terrible pain in my abdomen and the problem wi th going to the bathroom. By then I had made an appt with my gastro Dr. My regular Dr. thought my body was shutting down. My heart Dr. told me to quit the Chlorthalidone immediately.
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Please follow what i said.

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Firstly i don't know why they are creating unnecessary panic
If diverticuli shows polyp, the next step should be to find out if polyp is benign or dominant though biopsy.
second step should be to find out if diverticuli are infected with bacterias or protozoans. A stool test must be done to rule out the possibility.
I don't feel that there is any thing grossly wrong with your body shift to amlodipine its a very safe anti-hypertensive and you need not to monitor any thing usually very well tolerated by patient.

I dont know why your doctors are creating unnesesary panic.
Do what i said and follow up with reports
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy