• question-icon

What causes lower abdominal pain while on Doxycycline?

Posted on Fri, 21 Jul 2017 in Infections
Question: I am n Doxocyclne for I a caused possibly by diverticulia. Gave been on this medication for two days but I don't feel better. Pain in left lower side. How long does this medicine fake to begin feeling better? Should I be on a liquid diet? Is his the correct med to subscribe. I've had no scans.
XXXXXXX you.
Answered by Dr. Monika Dede 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Usually , you can feel better after 3-5 days of the beginning of the antibiotic.

Detailed Answer:
I have been through your question.

Please could you explain me if during this time that you are using doxycycline do you have the same intensity of pain as before and do you have fever as well?
Usually it is known that you can feel better after 3-5 days of the beginning of the antibiotic.
So, based on this you should wait 3-5 days to feel better and during this time should drink plenty of water, get changes in diet, starting with liquid- bland diet that is low in fiber until the pain goes away,
and then should increase the amount of fiber.

I hope my answer helps you.
I wish you a quick recovery.
Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Monika Dede 1 hour later
Low temperature and the pan is the same. XXXXXXX I should wait longer for meds to work right.

What us a liquid bland diet. Pain is still throbbing. No relief. Md for only two days, doxycycline. Is it normal to gave the pain?
Answered by Dr. Monika Dede 18 hours later
Brief Answer:
You should wait 3 -5 days to feel the improvement.

Detailed Answer:
Thank you writing back.
I am sorry for my late response.

You should know that a bland diet includes foods that are soft, not very spicy, and low in fiber and you should not eat spicy, fried, or raw foods.

Based on that you have still pain and fever I suggest to wait 3 days (max 5 days)from the beggining of treatment with doxyciclin and after to speak with your doctor in order to change antibiotic (to take ciprofloxacin and metronidazol).

I hope my answer helps you.
Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Dr. Monika Dede

Infectious Diseases Specialist