What causes lower abdominal pain that increases upon lying down?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Mar 2015
Mar 2015

OBGYN, Maternal and Fetal Medicine
Question
slightly painful irritation internally in lower abdomen area. am 64 white female with recent pap smear showing neg for any abnormality but positive for HPV. started taking 10 mg lisinopril (only medication) a year ago. pain occurs mostly when I lie down to sleep. some thinning of uterine walls was also reported at time of pap smear. sensation of itching internally in lower abdomen area. What could be causing this?
Fri, 25 May 2018 in Women's Health

Answered by Dr. Deepti Verma 25 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Skin diseases should be ruled out

Detailed Answer:
Hi dear,
I have gone through your question and understand the concerns.
Irritation and itching in the lower abdomen can be due to conditions such as gastrointestinal problems or skin thinness and dryness in the lower abdomen.
Uterine wall thinning, pap smear showing positive HPV are totally unrelated to the symptoms.
Urinary tract infection can also lead to such symptoms.
I will suggest you to consult a dermatologist to rule out any skin disease and urine examination done to confirm the diagnosis and get further treatment accordingly.
Hope you found the answer helpful.
Dr Deepti Verma
OBGYN