• question-icon

What causes lower abdominal pain, nausea, vomiting, headache, fever and constipation?

Posted on Fri, 14 Jul 2017 in Abdominal Pain
Question: My daughter who is 48 yrs old has been ill for the past 3 days. I have tried to contact her Dr but got no response. Her symptoms have been: Lower abdomen pain nausea and vomitting headache fever low grade constipation. Today her bowels have moved light brown. She has had an endoscopy done but no results back. She had an ultrasound done with results a kidney stone. My question is should we go to Urgent care,ER, or do nothing?
Answered by Dr. Sunil 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
No need to go to urgent care, please follow suggestions at first

Detailed Answer:
Firstly thanks for choosing HealthcareMagic.

Most likely she is having gastroenteritis.

Gastroenteritis is inflammation of gastric mucosa. Most commonly its viral. Viral gastroenteritis usually limits itself to 8-10 days.

Initially, I would advise you to go for stool routine and microscopy test to rule out to rule out Bacterial or Protozoal infection.As therapy with antibiotic has to be taken if its bacterial or protozoal enteritis. I would suggest you to take a probiotic twice daily. It repletes the disturbed gastric flora hence making digestion better.

The intestinal microflora is a complex ecosystem containing over 400 bacterial species.
The gut flora helps to neutralise some of the toxic by-products of digestion, reduce harmful substances (such as toxins and carcinogens), and discourage 'bad' bacteria and yeasts. It also helps to stimulate the digestive process and aid the absorption of nutrients, as well as producing vitamins including B and K.

So any problem with this flora causes symptoms like gastric pain, burping, poor digestion etc.
Apart from that isaphghullu husk(Metamucil) should be taken twice daily. It will increase bulk of stool and bowels normal.

An antispasmodic like Dicyclomine can be taken to decrease spasmodic pain.
Take tablet Zofran(Ondansetron) 4mg twice daily.
General precautions-
Eat light and easily digestible food.
Avoid meat products for the time being.
Try boiled food(Vegetables) with spices and herbs for a week.
Drink plenty of orange juice and coconut water.
keep yourself hydrated andtake lots of electral solution.

Do follow up with reports of stool test.
Let me know if I could assist you further.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Dr. Sunil

Gastroenterologist