What causes lower abdominal pain, nausea and vomiting after laparoscopy for cyst removal?

Dr. Sameer Kumar

OB and GYN Specialist

Posted on Mon, 19 Oct 2015 in Women's Health
Question: I had a laparscopy surgery 6 weeks ago today. I had an ovarian torsion due to a cyst. the cyst ruptured soon before surgery. the doctor said everything looked good, and he cleaned up the fluid from the cyst. I went back to the doctors due to continued pelvic cramping ranging mild- severe. from dull achy, discomfort, to pain similar to contractions, on and off daily. I feel more crampy and discomfort after eating. I am bloated All the time. and feel discomfort after using the restroom, and
prior to using the restroom. I feel nauseated daily from mild-moderate. I also have occasional lower back pains on my left & tight side. it's sudden and random. and very uncomfortable. my doctor said he thought it would be best to see a gastenologist, and said I may have colon problems. I'm feeling a bit nervous and curious what others may think is wrong with me. I've been sick for two months now, and I'm ready to be better already.
Answered by Dr. Sameer Kumar 55 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Likely PID or endometriosis.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for the query to hcm ,
There are all chances that after laparoscopy for cyst removal and untorsioning surgery, the cyst unless have been proved to be a simple cyst on histopathological examination there are chances of endomteriotic spread in the peritoneum which can cause secondary pelvic inflammatory disease post surgery. This can present as abdominal cramps bilaterally and pain , often increased urinary frequency and bloating sensation. The aim should have been adequate washing of peritoneum during surgery with atleast 2 litres of normal saline to remove if any endometriotic contents which would have spread during rupture.
It is unlikely to be gastrointestinal cause which is unlikely to present suddenly only after surgery in 6 weeks as you were never a GI patient earlier.
So it is suggested that you should get a per vaginal examination for and high vaginal swab with a repeat ultrasound to rule out any PID now with likely adhesion development intra-abdominally.
An empirical course of antibiotic for 14 days should be undertaken to treat any infection which may be still persistent along with NSAIDS for pain relief.
I hope i have answered your query in detail,
Wishing you good health,
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Sameer Kumar 16 hours later
I'm feeling really nauseated, but I can't seem to throw up. I feel awful. I called my doctor and the nurse told me it takes 5-7 days to get a referral to a GI . I'm unsure as to what to do, I feel awful, my head is throbbing I feel sick, Ive taken my tempature but I don't have a fever.
Answered by Dr. Sameer Kumar 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
answered

Detailed Answer:
If nausea is a prime concern at present, then you may take TAB METOCLOPROMIDE 10mg stat and repeat it again after 8 hrs, this shall allay your nausea to a great extent. Its an anti-emetic.
Throbbing headache can be dealt with an NSAID and adequate water intake and sleeping in a closed noise free environment for some time. You may take 150mg dispersible disprin tab for the same. This shall give quick relief.
You may get it prescribed from your GP if need be .
regards