• question-icon

What causes lower abdominal pain, headaches and constipation after taking Nystatin and Fluconazole?

Posted on Mon, 10 Jul 2017 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: I've been on Nystatin and fluconazole for two weeks and suffering with lower abdominal pain ,headaches,hot flashes ,itching butt,and constipation ..Is this normal for die off symptoms ?
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Please upload reports

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone carefully through your query and understand your concerns. I would not consider the symptoms to be normal. I would need details of the symptoms as well as investigations to be able to help you. If you have undergone an ultrasonography or other investigations please upload the reports. Also mention if you are self-medicating or whether the medicines have been prescribed by a doctor who has examined you clinically.

There can be a number of causes for your symptoms. It could be due to a viral infection, a gastrointestinal infection, constipation, urinary tract infection and many other things. Details are needed for proper clinical correlation. I would therefore request you for elaboration.

Regarding the constipation, I would like to mention that our bowels have a forward propulsive movement which moves the food forward as it is digested, absorbed and finally eliminated as feces. The key lies in regularization of the same. My suggestions would be to:
* Avoid long gaps between meals. Take small but frequent meals.
* Spicy food has to be avoided.
* It is very important to exercise regularly.
* High dietary fiber intake has to be ensured. Plenty of green leafy vegetables are to be taken. Fiber supplements like psyllium husk can also be taken along. This has to be taken daily at dinner irrespective of whether the problems are present. Restoralax can be taken.
* Please go through the following for a list of fiber rich foods:
XXXX

I would wait for your response. Let me know if I could help further.

Follow up: Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 12 hours later
I took a stool test and was diagnosed with candida and hployri. I've finished my antibiotics and now I'm prescribed nystatin and fluconazole .
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 57 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Thanks for the update.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for the update. Let me know if there is something that I could help you with.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha