What causes lower abdominal pain, frequent urination and bladder leakage?
Prostatitis, Benign prostatic hypertrophy, Urinary tract infection
Hello Mr. Bradshaw,
Thank you for your query.
I am Dr.Shuba Hariprasad and will be answering your query today
Your symptoms would lead me to primarily rule out a bladder or a prostate problem.
In case of a bladder infection, Urinary urgency, pain or discomfort while urinating, increased frequency of urination, lower abdominal pain and fever may be present.
Prostatitis may present with similar symptoms and with back pain.
Prostate enlargement can result in progressive symptoms. Flow of urine may be interrupted midflow. Sensation of wanting to urinate will linger even if you just been to the bathroom. Pain at the start of urination, relieved afterward all indicate a possible prostate enlargement.
I would do a physical exam to check for the size of the prostate, Urine test and culture (if infection is present).
I would also do an ultrasound to check the size of the prostate and to check for urine outflow obstruction (post-voidal residue).
If all is negative, I would do a CT or an MRI to see for any space occupying lesions in or near the spine/bladder that could be causing your symptoms.
Benign prostate hypertrophy (BPH) with/without urine infection is most likely and can be diagnosed with the above measures. Medications to relieve symptoms, minimally invasive surgery to reduce size or remove the prostate may be necessary.
Regular monitoring is also required, especially if symptoms worsen on treatment.
Hope I've answered your query.
I would be happy to clarify or answer any further queries you may have.
Please close this discussion and rate my answer, if you have no further queries.
Wish you good health
Dr. Shuba Hariprasad
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Having lower abdominal pain what could be causing this
- What causes lower abdominal pain
- Frequent urination lower abdominal pain hiv
- What is lower abdominal pain
- What causes lower abdominal pain after urination
- Dizziness low grade fever weeks frequent urination lower abdominal pain
- Can bladder stones cause lower abdominal pain?
- Frequent urination painful bladder lower abdominal pain am i pregnant
- Frequent urination lower abdominal pain chest pain difficulty breathing
- Dull lower abdominal pain with frequent urination