What causes lower abdominal pain along with rectal bleeding while on Lexapro and Metformin?

Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein

General Surgeon

Posted on Sat, 16 Jun 2018 in Abdominal Pain
Question: I have had some rectal bleeding. I have noticed small amounts before but last week there was one time when it was pretty significant and today it was significantly more than the last time. I have also had some lower abdominal pain the radiates through my right ovary. I currently take Metformin 500mg 2x a day Lexapro 30mg once a day, and I am currently on the 8th week of a 12 week 50,000 unit vitamin D supplement. I have PCOS and had one benign tumor, ovary, and fillopian tube removed when I was 14 they said aprox. the size of a syringe.
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
please see the detailed answer next

Detailed Answer:
Hi, thanks for asking,

I don't think this is related to your medications.

This is not a significant amount of blood as I can see from the photo and this is fresh blood which suggests bleeding from the lower part of the colon and in most cases, causes are benign and include haemorrhoids, anal fissure or rectal polyps.

These are primarily treated with the stool softener, diet and Sitz baths. It is very important to take a lot of fluids, probiotics, high fibre food and stool softeners to avoid hard stool and straining. If there is no improvement the colonoscopy should be done to rule out some lesions more proximally in the colon.

Other causes may be more serious and include tumors or inflammatory bowel diseases.
I suggest to get hemogram done and if there is anaemia you need to get a colonoscopy and proctologist examination done.

Let me know if I can assist you further.
Wish you good health.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee