What causes low vitamin D levels while suffering from fibromyalgia?

Dr. Aashish Raghu

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Wed, 8 Mar 2017 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: Fibromyalgia?

Ive been diagnosed with fibromyalgia/panic disorder for over 30 years.
My treatment consists of 20 mg amitriptyline at bedtime, 1mg x4 times daily and
Lowest possible doses of oxycodone and morphene both 4x daily.

I am on a managed pain program overseen by my rheumatologist and seen every 8 weeks for check ups. I do not drink, smoke, do any kind of recreational drugs of any sort. I have been on the same protocol for 25 years.

I am however, about 50 lbs overweight which I am working on. Have joined a gym and am seeing results with adding protein into my morning meal and really cutting back on the bad carbs and walking every day for half hour on treadmill at elevation 2.5 and
have every other day weight training. Admittedly, I'm sore all over but I just push through it best I can.

I'm trying very hard to improve my health as certainly no one is going to do it for me, that's for sure. Also, I am 63 years old. Female.

Can you please tell me what the latest findings are and newest and tested treatment options?
Are there recent studies with information regarding how One develops fibromyalgia?

In looking at what meds I am on which of them would you reduce first, if I decide to
Do so...I imagine after so long I would require a rehab facility but my doctor thinks I can do it myself ... I don't have that much courage.

With that in mind, what are optional treatments besides Lyrica which didn't agree with me after several weeks of trying it? (Side effects, weight gain, blurred vision, stomach upset, dizzy)

Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Vitamin D levels are linked - New research

Detailed Answer:
Hi there

Thanks for the query

I have read your query and understood your problem.

Recent latest studies show a surprising correlation between Fibromyalgia and Vitamin D levels. They found low Vitamin D in these patients.

Fibromyalgia is a multifactorial disease that has a strong connection to psychological and psychiatric condition linked to disordered immunity and lifestyle influences. Some persons are prone to getting it while others aren't.

You need to take daily Vitamin D 600U for 6 months. Perform SWD Physiotherapy and swimming if you can.

It would be a good option to try Tablet Gabapentin with Nortryptilline combination for 2 months instead. This needs prescription and cannot be found over the counter. Also take the Vitamin D 600U for 6 months.

I hope I have answered your query.

I will be available to answer your follow up queries.

Dr. Aashish Raghu
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy