What causes low testosterone levels with grade 1 varicocele?

Dr. Raju A.T

Posted on Mon, 25 Aug 2014 in Men's Health
Question: I have my right testicle removed because of torsion on feb . I have a varicocele grade 1 in my left testicle. Is it a serious one? Does it have any impact on my sperm count and testosterone.

I checked my total testosterone in morning without food in a hospital near XXXXXXX which resulted in 5.780 and after few days again i checked total testosterone in night and it resulted in 3.62 in another hospital.

I don't get morning woods. The doctor advised me for testosterone injection two shots.

I am right now totally confused? Can anyone help me out.
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Not serious

Detailed Answer:

Grade 1 varicocele is not serious and it does not reduce the sperm count or testosterone levels. Since the right testis is removed there could be mild amount of reduction in the testosterone levels for a year or so. Till then you may have to take testosterone injections. Later after a year the remaining testicle may produce the required amount of testosterone if the varicocele is not progressed.

Hope, I answered your query.

Wish you good health.

Follow up: Dr. Raju A.T 21 hours later
Thanks for the reply. I have couple of questions. My local doctor has advised me against taking the testosterone injections as he says its not needed.

1. Is it mandatory to take testosterone injections at current state?.
2. What are the natural ways of increasing testosterone without using injections?.
3. Is there any way we can remove the varicocele Grade 1 with some medications.
4. What inner-wear should i wear, currently i am wearing Jockey sports underwear. Is that fine?.

Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
Answers are below

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for writing back.

-- No not mandatory, considering your present testosterone levels.

-- Take foods rich in omega fatty acids also may have to take co enzyme Q supplements.

-- No, no medication help to treat varicocele

-- Yes, thats fine. Anything that supports the testicles and does not allow them to droop will help.