What causes low sodium levels while on anti depressants?

Dr. Abhishek Kapoor

Psychiatrist

Posted on Thu, 21 Aug 2014 in Brain and Spine
Question: I had lab work last week that showed I had low sodium, I went to the dr due to being feeling exhausted all the time. The doctor could not find a reason except maybe my antidepressant . Could I have Potts Sy. I was diagnosed with tachycardia of unknown reason about ten years ago.
Answered by Dr. Abhishek Kapoor 20 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Antidepressants lead to low sodium level

Detailed Answer:
HI
Thanks for using healthcare magic. I, Dr Abhishek Kapoor, would help you in this query.

You haven't mentioned the name of antidepressant you were on. Antidepressants like SSRIs (escitalopram, fluoxetine, sertraline etc) lead to low sodium level and in your case, it could be the reason. Nothing to worry about it. It would improve in few days after stopping it.

If you have more query, you can ask.

Dr. Abhishek Kapoor
Psychiatrist