What causes low sodium levels and fainting?

Dr. Ivo Ditah

Posted on Thu, 26 Jun 2014 in Brain and Spine
Question: I have low sodium and will that make me faint?
Answered by Dr. Ivo Ditah 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
It is possible

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thank you so much for this query.

I am so sorry to hear about this low sodium. Sodium is very important in muscle activities including the heart. Low levels can lead to symptoms including fainting.

What is most important is to investigate and establish the cause of this low sodium and address accordingly to make sure we do not run into any complications.

I hope this helps. I wish you well. feel free to ask for more information and clarifications should need be.
Follow up: Dr. Ivo Ditah 14 hours later
Along with having a low sodium level--121 I have fainted twice in less than one month.I now have heart palpitations and feel weak and light headed.Does the palpitations have anything with the low sodium or could palpitations be related to thyroid problems. I have also been told to drink very little liquids. I just feel like I wanted another opinion on all of this.Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Ivo Ditah 9 hours later
Brief Answer:
I understand!

Detailed Answer:
Palpitations are more related to thyroid problems. However, a single symptom would not be guiding enough to make the right decisions about what the exact problem is.

Please get a comprehensive clinical exam and maybe some tests is needed t shed more light on what the possible cause of your symptoms is. Start with a primary care physician and referrals would be made accordingly if need be.

I hope you find this helpful. I wish you well.