What causes low sexual desire after reducing the dosage of antidepressants?

Posted on Thu, 11 Jun 2015 in Mental Health
Question: I have been taking an antidepressant for 6 moths now. I know my sexual desire has dropped a lot.
I've been seeing casually a women I get very turned on by her. Erection nearly come but then nothing . It's happened several times now. My nuts really hurt. I've slowed down slowly 4 weeks 1/2 a tablet a day .then 2 weeks 1/4 a day . What is the best way to stop and not get grumpy and short with people I care about??
I don't use email I'll give you my friends one she's here
Answered by Dr. Shubham Mehta 43 minutes later
Brief Answer:
try switching to another safer antidepressant.

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Welcome to HCM.

I understand your concerns.

You are getting irritable as you have reduced the dose of your antidepressants.
With antidepressants, you are facing sexual side effects.

You have reduced the drug very slowly and appropriately. Still you face withdrawal symptoms.
Are you able to differentiate whether it is withdrawal effect or relapse of your illness?

However, in such cases, I would employ a strategy of restarting antidepressant drug which is safe with respect to sexual side-effect.
This will help you to curb the withdrawal effects.
You will also be able to regain your sexual desire.
Mirtazapine and bupropion (prescription drugs) are two such drugs which have negligible sexual side effects.

You can switch to them after discussing with your doctor.

Hope this helps.
Feel free to discuss further if you have more queries.

Thanks.

Follow up: Dr. Shubham Mehta 9 hours later
Thank you
I do have a girl I see just for a hand job I ace a mth that works for me no strings my partner knows. So question why not with my new sexy lady ?can I start with new drug low as I want to go off them slowly ASAP ? I do have very ill father ( ca see)and a stressed mother constant demands on me .
Answered by Dr. Shubham Mehta 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
can start with new drug now.

Detailed Answer:
You are most welcome.

Change of partners can sometime lead to performance anxiety. This can impair sexual performance.

Since you are facing the constant stress due to your family reasons, I think not taking the drug will cause relapse of depression.

You can begin with new drug now. Start with the low dose. The continuation or stopping of drug will be decided by how you respond.
But as these are prescription drugs, you must consult your doctor before making any drug changes.

Hope this helps.

I wish you well.

Thanks.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Shubham Mehta

Psychiatrist