What causes low sex drive and diffculty ejaculating after taking Rapaflo?

Dr. Achuo Ascensius

Posted on Wed, 20 Aug 2014 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: I'm taking Rapaflo 8mg for 4 months for enlarged prostate. Age 67. Have experienced lowered sex drive and inability to ejaculate, but also noticeable changes on penis - red coloration, possible forskin growth and general atrophy of penis itself. Is this common side effect or is something else going on??
Answered by Dr. Achuo Ascensius 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
more likely due to rapaflo

Detailed Answer:
Hello
thanks for the query

Rapaflo (silodosin) belongs to a group of drugs called alpha-adrenergic blockers that help to relax the bladder sphincter muscles thus relieving the symptoms of benign prostatic hypertrophy.

A common side effect is retrograde ejaculation in which due to relaxation of the bladder sphincter, sperm turn to be ejaculated into the bladder thus interfering with normal ejaculation.

The red coloration may be due to skin reaction to the drug. Atrophy of penis not documented side effect but with alteration in psychological set point of the mind, less sex drive, atrophy may be apparent.

Another drug class that could be of help or used to replace your current drug will be plant extracts such as saw palmetto.

Hope this helps.If you have further query, i will be glad to respond.
Best regards
Dr Achuo

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad