What causes low red blood cell count?

Rheumatologist
Question
My CBC shows low red blood cell count--first time ever--need to know why. No known unusual bleeding, some weakness and dizziness, not new at 76. need to know what to do

Posted Sat, 30 Aug 2014 in Medicines and Side Effects

Answered by Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Follows.

Detailed Answer:
Dear Madam,

Thank you for posting your query on HCM.

Well looking into your problem I would like to tell you that low RBC count at this age needs evaluation . You need to send me the complete blood picture along with serum iron studies to see and decide what can be the cause .

Stool for occult blood and colonoscopy should also be done as sometimes polyps can cause anemia with no symptoms . Only after a whole set of investigations me or your treating doctor will be able to comment on the cause as there is no apparent clinical symptom .

Dr. Shruti