What causes low red blood cell count?

Dr. Shruti Rijhwani

Rheumatologist

Posted on Mon, 1 Sep 2014 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: My CBC shows low red blood cell count--first time ever--need to know why. No known unusual bleeding, some weakness and dizziness, not new at 76. need to know what to do

Answered by Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Follows.

Detailed Answer:
Dear Madam,

Thank you for posting your query on HCM.

Well looking into your problem I would like to tell you that low RBC count at this age needs evaluation . You need to send me the complete blood picture along with serum iron studies to see and decide what can be the cause .

Stool for occult blood and colonoscopy should also be done as sometimes polyps can cause anemia with no symptoms . Only after a whole set of investigations me or your treating doctor will be able to comment on the cause as there is no apparent clinical symptom .

Dr. Shruti