What causes low potassium and glucose level in child with continuous vomiting, dizziness and hand cramping?

Dr. E Venkata Ramana

Pediatrician

Posted on Sun, 8 Dec 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: What would be the causes of low potssium level and low glugose level in a 15 yr. old with vomiting, dissiness, tiered pssing out, hands and arms craming cannot release on her own
Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 48 minutes later
Brief Answer: Prolonged vomiting is the probable cause. Detailed Answer: Hi, Thank you for your query on Healthcare Magic. The cause for low potassium and low glucose level in 15 year old female child is continuous vomitings for three days. Because of continuous and persistent vomitings, there will be loss of electrolytes especially potassium in the vomitus thus leading to low potassium. At the same time persistent vomitings for 3 days will lead to decreased oral intake of foods thus causing starvation which resulted in low blood glucose. And the cramps of hands and arms are because of muscle cramps which is because of low potassium in the blood. The root cause is prolonged vomitings. But the cause for these vomitings has to be evaluated by clinical examination and investigations by the doctor. Therefore I suggest you to evaluate the child to know the cause for vomitings and give medication to control them after consultation with the doctor. Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please let me know. Regards.
Follow up: Dr. E Venkata Ramana 12 minutes later
The low potassium has been on going for 3 months the conitibg just stRted 3 days ago The potassium has been ongoing for the last 3 months she has been in medication for that the vomiting just started 3 days ago she has been vegetarian for 6 months generally eats all the time but dies not put on any wight is 20 pounds under where she shots be. Could this be Crones
Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 22 hours later
Brief Answer: Needs thorough clinical evaluation. Detailed Answer: Hi, Thank you for getting back. Low potassium is seen in in conditions such as diarrhea, vomitings, chronic kidney disease (potassium loss through kidney), diuretic medication, eating disorders such as bulimia, associated low magnesium levels, laxative abuse, and excessive sweating. Therefore a thorough review of her medical history, clinical examination, and evaluation with investigations are required to detect the underlying cause for low potassium. Crohn's disease usually presents with gastrointestinal symptoms such as diarrhea, pain abdomen, bloody stools, and skin manifestations. Some times eating disorders such as bulimia also presents with low potassium and this should be kept in mind in adolescent girls because of over concern on their weight. Therefore I suggest you to consult the doctor for detailed clinical evaluation. Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please let me know. Regards.