What causes low mood, lack of interest, hopelessness and worthlessness?

Dr. Chintan Solanki

Psychiatrist

Posted on Tue, 20 Oct 2015 in Mental Health
Question: I am feeling a lack of motivation to do anything. Feeling very stagnant and getting a sense of worthlessness.
Answered by Dr. Chintan Solanki 37 minutes later
Brief Answer:
possibility of depression is there, it can be treated

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXXXXX

Thanks for writing to us. I can understand your concern.

I appreciate your efforts for seeking help.

From narration it seems that you may have depression.

In depression symptoms are low mood, lack of interest, sleep disturbance, weight loss or gain, hopelessness, worthlessness, fatigue and death wishes are there. These symptoms should be there for at least 2 weeks and should affect person's social or occupational life.
To diagnose depression detail history and mental status examination are required and these are to be done by a Psychiatrist.

Le t me know more details about your problem.

- Since when do you have these symptoms?

- How did they start? Was there any specific incidence or on its own?

- Is there any stress/worry in your life (social, economical, occupational, emotional)?

- Do you have any thoughts of dying?

Treatment of depression includes both medicines and psychotherapy.

In psychotherapy I prefer cognitive behavior therapy (CBT).In mild cases only CBT is sufficient. In moderate to severe cases initially medicines and then CBT is added. And later on medicines stopped gradually.

In medicines SSRI group of drugs (fluoxetine,paroxetine,sertraline, escitalopram) are main stay of the treatment.
Benzodiazepines group of drugs(clonazeapm,lorazepam or etizolam) are used initially for short duration for fast symptomatic relief.

In my opinion you must consult psychiatrist without hesitation as soon as possible. Earlier the treatment starts better the results.

Hope I have answered your query, I will be happy to help further.
Dr.Chintan Solanki.