question-icon

What causes low hemoglobin?

Posted on Mon, 28 Jul 2014
Question: Hello, my dad is 85 years old. Have a complete blood tests done but he is been sent to see an oncologist. Is there a reason for that? Although the red blood count, Hematocrit and Hgb show low
Answered by Dr. Prashant Sharma (11 hours later)
Brief Answer:
to rule out cancer as cause of anaemia

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXXXX

I see I already answered your previous query. Since you have added more information to this query, I shall take this opportunity to answer it again.

Your father's report shows anaemia. At this age malignancy is one of the causes of anemia. Other causes are dietary deficiency or less production of blood or kidney disease or few others. The referring doctor wants to rule out cancer as a cause of anaemia which is important at this age. Otherwise also at this age person should have yearly health checkup for cancer screening.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Prashant Sharma

Oncologist, Surgical