• question-icon

What causes low hemoglobin levels?

Posted on Mon, 24 Jul 2017 in Cancer
Question: Person has low hemoglobin, possibly from bowel cancer, does not want treatment ie blood transfusion or more testing. Has been given hydromorphone to assist with possible breathing difficulties/ fast heart beat stemming from the anemic condition. Is this a usual practice? considering that this drug is a CNS depressant so will slow breathing and heartrate? Thanks
Answered by Dr. Uday Nath Sahoo 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
no, it's unusual, and not a good practice

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for your question on HealthcareMagic,
I do understand your concern,

As per your history is concerned, I may say that it is not a fair practice to give [Hydromorphone] in this situation. It is an opioid analgesic given to control severe pain only and can depress central nervous system.

So it should be stopped. He can be given iron capsules or iron sucrose injections for breathing problem and fast heart rate if he is not willing for blood transfusion.

Hope that helps
Feel free to ask further

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Dr. Uday Nath Sahoo