What causes low hemoglobin levels?

Dr. Michelle Gibson James

Posted on Wed, 27 Aug 2014 in General Health
Question: I have been told by my GP that my iron levels are normal but my haemoglobin is low. At present is 101. I have been told to stop taking the iron tablets prescribed and am now wondering should I be cutting back on all the foods containing iron I have also been having.
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 27 minutes later
Brief Answer:
can restart normal diet once still use some greens

Detailed Answer:
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

Anemia (low levels of hemoglobin) can be due to different causes. Iron deficiency is only one of these potential causes.
The other parts of the complete blood count such as MCV, MCHC, MCH - normally can tell you if it is iron related or not. In iron deficiency they are low.

In terms of altering your diet, you can resume your normal diet if you had changed it to start using high protein foods.
You can restart the diet that you would have previously been using prior to any changes, provided that it still has in some iron. Not at the same level as someone trying to build up iron but there should be still some vegetables and animal protein (if not vegetarian) that contain iron so that is balanced.

Most healthy diets, with some green leafy vegetables mixed into it intermittently, would have in adequate iron to prevent any depletion and keep the levels normal.

These can be used at least 3 to 4 times weekly.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions