What causes low hemoglobin levels?

Pathologist and Microbiologist
Question
Helloo Dr,

I'm a anemic person, and last time when I checked my HB it was hovering around 7. please suggest me ways to improve my HB. I'm on veg diet.
Thanks
XXXXXXX
Posted Sun, 3 Aug 2014 in Weight & Lifestyle

Answered by Dr. Jyothi B L 36 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Try to take medicated supplements.

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXXXX,
I am Dr. Jyothi BL and I will be answering your query.

Hemoglobin of 7g% is very low and needs to improved with medication and diet. However, cause needs to be identified for accurate treatment. There might be microbleeding in the gut, parasites could be present (stool examination is required) and whether any hemolysis (reticulocyte count examination is required) or finally nutritional.
If you have got your whole hemogram report, do attach it. I can help you more.

In a general way, I can recommend the following
For iron, you can take
1. dark green leafy vegetables like spinach,
2. dried fruits like raisins and prunes
3. Iron enriched cereals and grains
4. beans and lentils,
5. tofu, peanut butter and lentils.
Always include vit c rich food (oranges, lemons etc) to improve absorption of iron.
Iron supplements in forms of tablets and injections are also available.

For Vitamins (specifically B group), you can take
1. soy beans
2. cheese
3. milk
4. wheat germ
Its very low and fortified cereals and grains are necessary. Otherwise vit B supplementation (capsules or injections) is essential through medications like B-complex vitamins.

Reticulocyte count needs to be done now and after fifteen days to check for improvement. If it is increasing after 15 days, it means the specific nutrient defect is getting corrected and Nutritional anemia was the cause.

Followup with hemoglobin in another 15 days, if it is rising or falling to ensure there are no complications related to low hemoglobin

Any further queries, happy to help again.
Dr. Jyothi BL