What causes low heart rate while on Nadolol?

Dr. Chobufo Ditah

Posted on Mon, 6 Jun 2016 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: Hello
been taking nadalol for over a year no issues. 20mg in morning and 10mg at night. prior afib from sleep apnea and acid reflux. this has been great keeping pulse around 59-65.

the past few days my heartrate has been around 52. at one point it showed 45. no numbness or headache.i felt fine and when i walked it would go to 65.

i thought maybe i took an extra pill by mistake so i didnt take my 10mg (half pill) last night. took my 20mg this morning and my heartrate stayed 53-59 all day. just took again a few moments ago and its 55.

i feel fine but i wasnt feeling good like i had flu, running nose but no pain, dizziness.
do i take my 10mg tonight. seems like my pulse is down around 10 points. work has been good with less stress too

my question is the drop in rate and i am worried taking half pill will put rate in 40 range sleeping. any suggestions. no afib issues at all
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 47 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Stop and report this drop to your doctor!

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thank you so much for this query.

I am so sorry to hear about this substantial drop in your heart rate. It is true that nadalol would result to a drop in heart rate. However, we do not expect to put patients in the range of less than 50. Because your rates are fast falling, I will suggest that you suspend this drug and talk to your cardiologist. We may need to reduce the dose or switch to another Afib controlling drug which doesn't have teh same effect of further dropping the heart rate this much.

I hope this helps. I wish you well. Feel free to ask for more information and clarifications if need be. Above all, thanks for using our services.
Follow up: Dr. Chobufo Ditah 13 minutes later
thanks for response. i will let my cardiologist know. i will cut my 10mg at night and see what doctor says. i think less stress also is reducing it. i will also get some exercise. thanks
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 27 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Keep me updated!

Detailed Answer:

It sounds logical and I will advise that you go ahead and reduce the dose. Keep me updated after this visit.

I wish you well.