• question-icon

What causes low energy and dizziness upon standing up?

Posted on Wed, 9 Aug 2017 in Brain and Spine
Question: low energy and dizziness when I stand up - when I sit is ok and also when I extend out - i have lost weight on purpose (35lbs) because of high A1Cfor glucose - now it is 5.5 - but this dizziness is there - my doctor now says I am anemic because I have high White Blood Cell 11.5 and Red Blood Cell 3.39 - went to Emergency 10 days ago and they said I was dehydrated and I have started to drink more water (8 glasses a day - it helps but not enough thanks

Can you recommend what would be the best diet to help alleviate the symptoms
Thank you
Answered by Dr. Noble Zachariah 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Symptoms likely to be due to anemia

Detailed Answer:

Welcome and thanks for your query.
The likely reason for your low energy and dizziness is anemia. You have only 9.0gm/dl against a normal of 14. Hemoglobin is very essential for the transport of oxygen to your tissues and since this is insufficient, you feel tired and dizzy. Your stool is positive for occult blood (Guaiac +). You are losing blood in your stools and that is probably the reason for anemia . The reason for this has to be identified and treated. You have a mildly elevated wbc count and this may occur in an infection and in certain conditions causing anemia.
While the cause of blood loss and anemia is being investigated you can take an iron supplement and foods rich in iron like liver, red meat, poultry,seafood,beans,
dark green leafy vegetables, such as spinach, dried fruit, such as raisins and apricots,iron-fortified cereals, breads and pastas and peas to improve the anemia.

Do get back to me if you have further queries.
Dr. Noble Zachariah