What causes low cholesterol levels after having proper medication and lifestyle modification?

Posted on Thu, 18 Jun 2015 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: My total cholesterol was 250 on 20.09.2014. i started walking regularly 25-30 minutes daily, avoided fried food to a great extent but used to have sweets. on 01.02.2015 my lipid profile was like this- total Cholesterol-253, LDL-177, triglyceride-181 and HDL-44. I was given stator F. I continued medication and increased walking with light jogging for 35 minutes daily 7 days a week and and push ups twice 25 times on each bout . I also started taking tea without sugar and avoided sweets and fried foods except on occasional invitations roughly once or twice a month. on 22.05.2015 my lipid profile is Total cholesterol-118.7, LDL-59, HDL-53.3 and Triglyceride-75. Doctor suggested to stop medication and visit after 3 months. I lost weight by almost 14 kgs. in 8 months. My question is what caused the drop in numbers? exercise or medicine. What should i do now?
Answered by Dr. Swarnava Dattagupta 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
medicine alongwith lifestyle modification was effective

Detailed Answer:
Hello.
Welcome to HCM.
This is Dr. Swarnava Dattagupta answering your query.

I understand your concern.
Initially you had borderline lipid profile values and lifestyle modification was tried but of not much use. The blood reports worsened. So drug treatment was started.
This combination of drugs and lifestyle modification was very effective and reports came back to normal range.
Now if such a patient comes to me with such problem, i would do the same as your doctor has advised. Stoppage of drugs but continuation of food control and exercise will be advised and blood levels checked again after 3-6months. Now if the levels remain normal, you can continue with exercises. Otherwise i would suggest drug therapy with statins again.
You can consult your treating doctor about the above.

Hope this was useful.
Regards.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj
Dr. Swarnava Dattagupta