What causes low blood sugar?
small frequent meals/avoid concentrated sweets
Hello and thank you for your question.
There are many things you can do to prevent low blood sugars. Probably the most important is to avoid concentrated sweets and high carbohydrate meals. The problem with this type of food is that it raises your sugar very high and then it can drop down rapidly. Complex carbohydrates such as fruits are much better than sweets or sodas. If you have frequent episodes then eating frequent small meals is much better than eating 2-3 larger meals in a day. Make sure you always carry a snack with you so that you will have something to raise your sugar if you start feeling dizzy or having other symptoms of low sugars.
If symptoms or severe, or if you are having black out spells see your doctor.
rare but insulinoma is possibility
Hi and thanks for your follow up. If you blood sugar is low then you need to see a doctor right away. It is rare but sometimes people develop a tumor called an insulinoma that produces too much insulin and that can cause low sugars.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Too much soda cause low blood sugar
- Can amoxicillin cause low blood sugar
- Can an anechoic cyst cause low blood sugar
- What causes severe abdominal pains with low blood sugar
- Can low blood sugar cause motion sickness
- Can addison's disease cause low blood sugar ?
- Can low blood sugar cause dry heaving
- Does lithium cause low blood sugar
- Low blood sugar causing blindness
- Low blood sugar causes
- What causes gas, stomach gurgling and fullness in upper chest?
- Is it not safe to have Amoxicillin for heart murmur?
- Suggest treatment for constipation and tenderness on the sides
- Suggest treatment for Angioedema and severe swelling in limbs and face
- Suggest treatment for soft stool
- What causes hair loss?
- Suggest treatment for fever, sore throat, cough and diarrhea
- Suggest treatment for severe pain due to arthritis in spine and both hands
- Can Requip and Sinemet be taken together?
- What causes gritty, white discharge during urination?