What causes low blood sugar level?
Please give more details
Welcome to HCM. I have gone through your question. Please provide me with more medical details so that I can answer your question better.
Is it your son suffering from low sugars?
Has a checked his blood while he was having symptoms?
Is the symptoms predominantly before food in morning or 2-3 hours after a meal?
Please share the approximate weight and height?
Is he on some medications / some other ailments?
Is there any one in family with diabetes?
Please share with us the available laboratory values.
Low sugars and shakes can be due to multiple causes. In my practice I start evaluating my patients based on the above questions.
So I will be happy to help you with, If you provide me some more medical details.
Dr Ajish TP
Please have hypoglycaemia evaluation
Thanks for the information provided.
Your son is having low sugars after food. Low sugars can be due to multiple hormonal issues in body. It could be due to high insulin levels or low steroid levels in body. This can be seen in early stages of diabetes.
In your case it could be an increased insulin secretion to food intake as the low sugars are more after a carbohydrate meal and not after protein meal ( eggs ).
Low sugars can be serious issue. So I suggest you should have your son evaluated by an endocrinologist. If I were your treating physician I would have done a carbohydrate challenge test - checking blood glucose every hour for 5 hours after a full carbohydrate meal. If the sugar rise after meal and then it fall below normal after some time, you are having excess insulin secretion to a carbohydrate meal. If there is no low sugar you have to be evaluated for a 3 day fasting test.
I think an endocrinologist can help you with this. Mean while try frequent low calorie meal that is high in complex carbohydrates or proteins ever 3-4 hours. Egg white, oats, tubers etc will help. Avoid refined sugars.
Hope I have answered your questions. If you have any further queries I will be happy to help you
Dr Ajish TP
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Low blood sugar levels88
- Low blood sugar level 57
- Fatal low blood sugar level
- Extremely low blood sugar levels
- What causes severe abdominal pains with low blood sugar
- Lymphoma low blood sugar levels
- Low blood sugar levels and palettes
- Low blood sugar causing blindness
- Metacam and low blood sugar levels
- Low blood sugar causes
- Suggest remedy for stress induced diabetes
- Does thyroid induce sudden weight gain during pregnancy?
- Suggest treatment for severe cold and chronic pain in lower back
- Suggest treatment for hashimotos thyroiditis
- What does light vaginal bleeding post Mifegest kit usage indicate?
- Suggest dosage of Eltroxine with TSH level of 10
- Suggest treatment for hypothyroidism
- Suggest ways to maintain healthy blood sugar levels
- What causes low blood sugar level?
- What causes swollen lymph nodes on neck with normal CT scan?