What causes low blood sugar level and high BP?

Dr. Raju A.T

Posted on Tue, 2 Sep 2014 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: My father had piles surgery done 7 days back. This is the second time he underwent piles surgery. Post surgery, his face has swollen and his BP and Sugar have been fluctuating. His Sugar was low 2 days after surgery and now his BP is 177/90. Please advise if swelling of face and BP and Sugar fluctuations are due to surgery and what should be the future course of action? He is taking the same medicines which he used to take before surgery. No change in BP and Sugar medication.
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 12 hours later
Brief Answer:
Post surgical stress

Detailed Answer:

Low sugars and high blood pressure could be due to stress secondary to the surgery. Need not worry both of the parameters would surely return back to normal. Let him continue on the same medication as he is on. Do observe the levels regularly. If the levels go too low or high then do consult his treating doctor. With the above blood pressure fluid restriction and salt restriction with medications would suffice.

Hope, I answered your query.

Wish you good health.

Follow up: Dr. Raju A.T 21 hours later
Hi Dr XXXXXXX

Thanks a lot for your detailed reply. Is swelling of face also common post surgery? And does fluid restriction means he cannot drink more than certain amount of water/fluids in a day?

Thanks and Regards,
XXXX
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Yes

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for writing back.

Yes, due to physical stress there can be hemodynamic changes which can lead to swelling in the face too.

Fluid restriction means to drink lesser amount than usual.