What causes low blood pressure?
I would explain as follows:
Thank you for asking on HCM!
I understand your concern and would explain that your grandmother's situation seems to be critical.
The low blood pressure also called "circulatory shock", may be related to different causes:
- a complication of dialysis
- a severe cardiac arrhythmia from an electrolyte imbalance
- a cardiological disorder (tamponade, myocardial infarct,etc)
- severe hemorrhages, leading to loss of big amounts of blood.
Anyway, this circulatory dysfunction if not treated in the right time, leads to similar consequences. A prolonged deprivation in the blood supply to the organs, causes irreversible damage to them.
The main organs, which are more sensitive to the blood supply deprivation are the brain, the heart and the kidneys.
In her situation, we can not tell the damage of her brain.
A comatose patient doesn't open his eyes.
But there is a specific clinical situation, which is called vegetative state, in which the brain is very damaged, but the patient can open his eyes, be able to perform respiration, but is unconscious, because his brain has lost all his cognitive functions (located in the cortex), but not the metabolic functions (which are located in the brainstem).
So a careful neurological exam is needed to evaluate her brain function.
Anyway it is too early to determine her prognosis.
Even if she is getting out of coma, further evaluations are needed to establish her neurological situation.
Besides, taking into consideration her multi organ failure, you should understand that her prognosis is very poor.
She may need to stay on ventilator for a prolonged period. It depends on her further repeated tests to evaluate her lung and brain function.
Hope to have been helpful!
Feel free to ask any other questions, whenever you need!
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- What causes low blood pressure and the shakes in the elderly
- Causes of low blood pressure elderly
- What infections can cause low blood pressure
- Low blood pressure causes and leukemia
- Low blood pressure causes
- What causes low blood pressure
- What causes bradycardia and low blood pressure
- Causes of low blood pressure 10771
- Multivitamin causes low blood pressure
- Vertin cause low blood pressure
- What do the following stress tests, echo and holter monitor test result...
- Suggest alternative treatment for congestive heart failure
- Suggest treatment for hypertension and GERD
- Suggest treatment for high BP and tingling in arms
- What causes sharp pain in chest area relieved by burping?
- Suggest treatment for afib, severe sleep apnea and high heart rate?
- What causes shortness of breath with normal chest X-ray?
- What causes severe pain in my calf muscle in Tietze syndrome?
- What causes altered sense of smell when diagnosed with sinus tachycardia?
- Does page syndrome increase the risk of heart attack?