What causes low blood pressure after taking Dulera and Doxycycline?

Dr. Swarnava Dattagupta

Posted on Mon, 6 Jun 2016 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: My husband just started on dulera and doxycycline for respiratory infection. His blood pressure has been very low, 99/50, yesterday afternoon it was normal, 120/80. He is also lightheaded. Could it be the doxycycline? He takes a beta blocker so his pressure is always normal or slightly lower.
Answered by Dr. Swarnava Dattagupta 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Doxycycline is rarely associated with low blood pressure

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for posting your query in Healthcaremagic.com.
This is Dr. Swarnava Dattagupta answering your query.

I understand your concern.
Both doxycycline and dulera can increase or decrease blood pressure, though rarely. Also, high blood pressure is more commonly associated with these medications rather than low blood pressure.
So I believe that the fall in blood pressure might not be due to either of these drugs; might be a transient effect of taking beta blockers or just idiopathic fall in blood pressure.
The light headedness is due to the sudden fall in pressure only.

So my suggestion will be to monitor blood pressure hourly for 4-5 hours and it should get back to 110-70 range.
Give him water to take with common salt and some sugar if blood pressure remains low and he seems dehydrated.

Do not worry as of now; only if symptoms arise or the blood pressure remains persistently low, you may consult a doctor and get him checked clinically.

Hope I have answered your question.
If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.
Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D