What causes low blood platelet count?
Any infection can lower the platelet count
Hi...any infection can lower the platelet count and it is not unusual. We need to work up for low platelet counts if the count is still low even after the kid has come out of the infection and is well.
I have a few questions for you -
1. Does he bleed a lot for small injuries also?
2. At any time while a vaccination is being given did he have unusually prolonged bleeding?
3. What was his platelet count during the time of infection and what is it now?
4. Does any blood relatives have any bleeding disorders or bleeding tendency?
5. Does have any skin bleeds or joint bleeds or patchy discoloration of the skin?
Kindly get back to me with answers and then I will be glad to guide you further.
Regards - Dr. Sumanth
He needs evaluatoin for bleeding disorder
Hi... I have gone through your answers in detail. I feel that your kid requires evaluation for bleeding disorder.
Possibilities could be -
1. Chronic Immune Thrombocytopenic Purpura - any viral illness might have triggered it 6 months back and it might have been going on chronically.
2. Clotting factor deficiency.
I suggest you do these and consult a pediatric hematologist -
1. CBC - complete blood picture.
2. Platelet aggregation tests.
3. Bone marrow aspiration and look for megakaryocytic response.
4. Anti-platelet antibodies.
Regards - Dr. Sumanth
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Low platelet count in blood
- Low blood platelet count causes
- What causes low wbc and platelet counts
- Low platelet count common cause
- Itp low platelet count causes
- Platelet count low causes hashimotos
- What causes low platelet count in men
- What causes low platelet count
- Low platelet count cause death
- Low platelet count causes
- What causes recurrent cold,cough and high fever in a child?
- What should be Neozeet dosage for cold and cough in a child?
- What causes swelling and redness on eyelid after taking Desonide?
- What causes an indentation on upper back?
- Suggest treatment for diarrhea in an infant
- Does black molds in house during pregnancy cause any complication?
- Suggest treatment for fungal infection of in groin area
- What causes swollen cluster of veins on lower back?
- What causes diarrhea with vomiting?
- What causes low appetite after stomach infection?