What causes low back pain with numbness in leg?

Question
I was prescribed hydrocodone for low back pain whereas I have pain in the lumbar region related to work I am a 15 yr seasoned RN who lifts patients daily and would like to be discrete about medication.. The last c-spine X-Ray showed chronic changes and at times I experience numbness that proceeds down my left leg..
Posted Tue, 19 Aug 2014 in Brain and Spine

Answered by Dr. Albana Sejdini 24 hours later
Brief Answer:
Send your medical records to a new doctor...

Detailed Answer:
Hi back,

From what you are describing, the low back pain is related to chronic damages to your spine as shown in the X-ray you had.

The numbness you experience and which proceeds down your left leg is due to compression of nerve roots coming from the spine (lumbar section). From what you are describing, my suspects go for herniated disc.

A further MRI examination of the spine is needed to evaluate the damages and decide whether you might need a more specific treatment rather than using analgesics alone.

If your old doctor is retired, you can ask to get your medical records to another doctor and get a new prescription for hydrocodone from him/her.

To my opinion, you should determine the severity of your health problems first by your new doctor; and then, decide to take medications. You cannot use hydrocodone for entire life. I usually advise patients to use alternate pain killers to prevent dependency to hydrocodone or any other pain killer.

Hope it helped!
Dr.Albana