What causes low appetite in a 7 year old?

Pediatrician, Pulmonology
Question
Doctor,
I am XXXXXX here from XXXXXXX country. I have 7 year old daughter. She is in 1st standard now. The problem is
She gets up at 6:00 a.m. She take her milk and go to school. Her school starts at 7:15 a.m. School break is at 9:00 a.m. for half an hour. her school begins after break at 9:30 a.m. till 12:30. she does not eat her lunch box. rather she eats only a piece or two. I give her roti , ghee and sugar. her teacher scolded her today for she didn't listen. we know how our daughter is. but she should eat and then she will have energy to study. although she feels hungry, she does not eat. what should i do? I want to ask whether any medical should be done?
Thanking you,
Mrs.XXXXXX
XXXXXXX
XXXXXXX
Posted Sun, 3 Aug 2014 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Arun 15 minutes later
Brief Answer:
try less milk

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thanks for writing to health care magic.
Not eating lunch is a very common problem .
The commonest reason is improper timing esp milk. Avoid giving more of milk and ensure she takes proper home made breakfast ( whatever you eat ). Keep talking to her how bad you and teachers feel when she skips lunch. Don't scold her , repeatedly talking politely should improve this.
There can be few medical reasons like anemia , micronutrients deficiency. It needs a medical examination to assess for these and can be improved with iron and multivitamins.

Dr Arun