What causes low TSH levels while having multinodular toxic goiter?

Dr. Mirjeta Guni

Endocrinologist

Posted on Thu, 2 Mar 2017 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Question: I have multi toxic goiter. My TSH is beginning to drop again. Currently 0.483. For about a week now I am having a weird sore throat. Feels like my throat has something tied around it, and I keep having a sore neck. Is this related to my hyperthyroidism
Answered by Dr. Mirjeta Guni 14 minutes later
Brief Answer:
About multinodular goiter:

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thank you for asking on HCM!
I have gone carefully through your concern.
From your description you have had a multinodular toxic goiter that is inactive for the moment, but has a tendency to reactivate again ( as the TSH is dropping). So the thyroid hormones should be under close monitoring.
The symtpoms you are experiencing now may be due to an increase in the thyroid volume, that happens in multinodular goiters.
This needs a confirmation with ultrasound and if the volume increase is verified, your treating physician may suggest surgical intervention or radioactive iodine treatment.
The advantages and disadvantages of both of them will be discussed carefully with him.
Hope the information will help.
Kind regards,
Dr.Mirjeta
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad