What causes low TSH level?

Pathologist and Microbiologist
Question
Hi Doctor,

Today I have done my Thyroid test and my TSH level is 0.24 after taking THYROXINE 100mg for 3 months and my TPO level is too high >1300. I am totally worried now. Doctor, please suggest me what I should do in this case.

I am going to meet my doctor next week

Thanks and regards,
XXXXXX

Posted Sat, 9 Aug 2014 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems

Answered by Dr. Jyothi B L 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Dose change might be required.

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXXXX
I am Dr. Jyothi BL and I will be answering your query.

TSH level is a bit reduced due to thyroxine intake and might need to be reduced, when you meet your doctor. If you have no symptoms of hyperthyroidism, your doctor might continue with the same dose.

TPO level or thyroid peroxidase antibodies level is indeed high and it suggests a diagnosis of Hashimotos thyroiditis. Its an autoimmune disease and in future, your thyroid hormone production from thyroid gland might reduce, resulting in increased external dose.
The antibodies level will slowly reduce in future as your thyroid gland functioning reduces.

External thyroxine treatment will be necessary, as you might develop more hypothyroidism. Otherwise, nothing to worry from these values.

Any further queries, happy to help again.

Dr. Jyothi BL