What causes low MCV and low MCH?

Dr. BR Hudda

Posted on Fri, 11 Sep 2015 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans
Question: I have been feeling really really tired I went to the doctor and they done bloodwork done cbc cmp checked thyroid done hcg and the hcg negative and thyroid normal they said that my mch was low and my mcv was low and my rdw was high one of the levels was 75 and the range on there scale was 79 but my hemaglob was 13 something my doctor said that this is nothing to worry about but is it does it need more digging into to find out what's causing it for sure and could it mean that I'm losing blood or bleeding somewhere I'm worried about it
Answered by Dr. BR Hudda 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
Please upload all reports and consider for peripheral blood smear test

Detailed Answer:
Hello
I had gone through your question very diligently and I appreciate your concern
Low MCV and low MCH means volume of the RBCs are less and hemoglobin concentration in each RBC is less but you need not to worry your hemoglobin is good 13gm/dl.
It could be physiological which means normal
Here I would like further information for better assessment of the condition.
1. Other than tiredness what all symptoms are you having
2. If possible upload me the whole reports

I would advise you for a test called as peripheral blood smear to study RBCs morphology, cell type or any abnormal cells.

Please write back to me so that I will be able to tell you more accurately
Best wishes
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. BR Hudda 9 hours later
well sometimes I feel so tired I get out of breath I just had a miscarriage 8 weeks ago I still haven't had my period last one I had was April 29 but I'm not pregnant every now and then my stomache bothered me
Answered by Dr. BR Hudda 27 hours later
Brief Answer:
Please consider these guidelines

Detailed Answer:
Hello
welcome again and thanks for follow up question
Since I can't physical examine you to get more clues So I would advise you to visit a gynaecologist for physical examination and an ultrasound to rule out pregnancy or retained product of miscarriage.

At first you can do urine pregnancy test which can be done at home to rule out pregnancy.
Meanwhile take rest and just relax.

Hope this answers your question
Best wishes
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. BR Hudda 54 minutes later
I've already been to the ob doctor took pregnancy tests and hcg was 1. something
Answered by Dr. BR Hudda 21 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Upload reports

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Please upload me the reports
regards
Follow up: Dr. BR Hudda 18 hours later
I just have the numbers from my doctor can't upload the. actual report
Answered by Dr. BR Hudda 6 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Take a photograph or scan it and uplaod

Detailed Answer:
Hello
welcome again
You can click a photograph of the reports and upload by clicking on upload the image on right side of the screen.
You can contact YYYY@YYYY

It will be possible for me to comment without seeing reports
Waiting for.your reply
Best wishes
Follow up: Dr. BR Hudda 1 hour later
here is the results of the cbc w auto diff.) wbc 5.4 rbc 5.13 hemoglobin 13.1 hematocrit 38.4 mcv 75 mch 25.5 mchc 34.1 rdw 15.5 platelets 221 neutrophils 68 lymphs 25 monocytes 4 eos 2 basos 1 neutrophils absolute 3.7 lymphs absolute 1.4 monocytes absolute 0.2 eos absolute 0.1baso absolute 0.0 immature granulocytes 0 immature grans abs 0.0
Answered by Dr. BR Hudda 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Please consider these guidelines

Detailed Answer:
Hello
welcome again and thanks for the reports
Looking at your detailed description and lab reports I would advise you to follow these guidelines
You should take urine pregnancy card test which can be done at home if you had unprotected sex after the miscarriage.
you should take pantoprazole or ranitidine group of drugs with antacids for 2 to 3 days
Just relax and remain cheerful
your all the blood reports are within normal range so you need not to worry
You can take multivitamin and minerals supplements
Have lots of fresh fruits and vegetables
Avoid fatty fried spicy and junk food
since you had a miscarriage and you are not having periods since 8 weeks after that which warrants detail evaluation to find out underlying cause by hormonal studies, ultrasound and further investigations.

Hope this answers your question
Please feel free to discuss further I will be happy to help you
Best wishes
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Neel Kudchadkar
Follow up: Dr. BR Hudda 3 hours later
thanks so what about the low mch and mcv and like a point high rdw does that mean that I'm losing blood or no and I did start my period
Answered by Dr. BR Hudda 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Please consider these guidelines

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Welcome again you need nor to worry
Your MCV and MCH findings are not too low, it's just near lower margin of normal range.
so you just relax it varies with various laboratory since your hemoglobin report is ok, if you still want to further investigate than you can go for test to see the morphology or abnormal cells in the blood and that test is known as peripheral blood smear.

You didn't get period that is a matter of concern, you should consult a gynaecologist for physical examination and investigations as I advised you in previous reply to find out the underlying cause and treatment for withdrawl bleeding.

Hope this answers your question
Please feel free to ask of you still have any more doubts.
Best wishes