What causes low BP in a diabetic patient?

Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh

Posted on Wed, 14 Sep 2016 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: I normally have high blood pressure in the range of 160's/90's. I had a fall recently and did some damage to my knee. The knee and leg is severely bruised all the way to the bottom of my foot. I just left the doctors off ice and my blood pressure was 104/64 which my BP hasn't been that low in 20 years. I am an insulin dependent Type 2 diabetic with heart disease and severe COPD and on O2 @ 4pm and I take placid. What could cause my blood pressure to drop that low.
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 57 minutes later
Brief Answer:
One reading can be inaccurate.

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome,

Here are some thoughts on what could be going on:

- One reading can be inaccurate. Recheck your blood pressure a couple of times to see if that is consistent.

- If your leg was injured, you may not be as active perhaps, and decreased activity can lower blood pressure.

Are you on any new medication or are feeling newly ill (light headed, chest symptoms)?