What causes low BP and sharp pain in upper left chest?

Dr. Swarnava Dattagupta

Posted on Mon, 19 Oct 2015 in General Health
Question: My wife's blood pressure is 101/67 pulse is 75. She said that she has had this pain that is neither dull or sharp in her upper left chest. She says she typically has low blood pressure compared to most people, but this seems quite low to me. There is no history of heart disease in her immediate family.
you can email me at YYYY@YYYY
Answered by Dr. Swarnava Dattagupta 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
can be cardiac or gastric pain; better to visit ER and get ECG done

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for posting your query in healthcaremagic.com
This is Dr. Swarnava dattagupta answering your query.

I understand your concern.
Pain in upper chest neither dull nor sharp can have a lot of causes, most of them being either cardiac causes or gastrointestinal causes. The blood pressure you mentioned is in the lower side no doubt, but not alarming. There are a few questions I should ask like since when she is having this pain, whether she had similar pain before, is there any radiation of pain to shoulder, arm or back, is there any sweating associated with it, whether she has indigestion problems occasionally.
You can answer me the above so that I can help you further.
However, considering her age and the site of pain, it is better to visit the ER and get an ECG done urgently. Accordingly, treatment can be started or further investigations can be done. It might be an angina pain or more commonly can be pain due to indigestion and reflux disease. Still, cardiac causes have to be ruled out and hence my suggestion. Also, lung causes like pneumonia etc might be there but as there are no associated history or symptoms, it can be ruled out.

Hope i have answered your question.
If you have any further questions i will be happy to help.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T