What causes loss of voice during hunger?

Posted on Sat, 21 May 2016 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: My grandfather is about 75 years old and is experiencing voice loss when he's hungry and not eaten for long.. Or after walking back home in the sun... And eventually it becomes normal. Is there any reason to it?
Also he says his feet become numb when sitting in one posture for more time say.. Is this very Normal?
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Dryness of throat and dehydration.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for your query.

1. The most common cause for loss of voice when he is hungry, hasn't eaten for a long time and after walking in the sun will be dryness in the throat and dehydration.

2. Since his voice returns to normal, this would be the most likely cause.

3. A Videolaryngoscopy can be done to rule out chronic laryngitis, vocal cord movement disorders, reflux and allergy.

4. The numbness in the feet should be examined by a neurologist as there are many common causes for thus.

5. Both these problems are likely to be minor and normally seen in many people. Keep him well hydrated and check for improvement in his symptoms.

I hope that I have answered your query. If you have any more questions I will be available to answer them.

Regards.
Dr. Sumit Bhatti

ENT Specialist