What causes loss of voice after vomiting?

Dr. Shoaib Khan

Posted on Tue, 12 Aug 2014 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: I got seasick yesterday on a boat trip and threw up a few times. By the end of the day I had lost my voice. I assume it is from the stomach acid. How long does it last?
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Anywhere from a few hours to 3 days

Detailed Answer:
Hello sir and welcome.

Thank you for writing to us.

I have gone through your query with diligence and would like you to know that I am here to help.

You are quite right sir, the stomach acid and bile that refluxes causes damage to the vocal cords and larynx resulting in hoarseness or reduced pitch of voice.

It can take anywhere from a few hours to about 3-5 days depending on various factors like voice rest/abuse, temperature and consistency of food and drinks, etc.

You could do the following to help promote quick recovery:
-Take lukewarm sips of water a few times a day
-Use cough drops
-Rest your voice as much as possible
-Drink a lot of cold alkaline products (especially dairy products)

I hope you find my response helpful sir. Please feel free to write back to me for any further clarifications, I would be more than happy to help. Wishing you a rapid and complete recovery.

Best wishes.