What causes loss of taste?

Dr. Naveen Kumar

ENT Specialist

Posted on Mon, 19 Jan 2015 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: Loss of taste, unknown cause. Checked for low Zinc level, it was ok.
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Various causes need to be ruled out...

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Thanks for posting the query. I do understand your concern; I will try my best to help you with this problem.

Impaired taste could be due to various reasons, ranging from the common cold to more serious medical conditions involving the central nervous system. Most adults over the age of 60 begin to show signs of impaired taste, because of the degeneration of the nerves.

In your case, we need to rule out:
1. Any obstruction caused in the nose secondary to allergic rhinitis.
2. Sjogren’s syndrome (an autoimmune disease that causes dry mouth and dry eyes).
3. Hormonal imbalance
4. Vascular disorders
5. Neurological issues
6. Thyroid medications leading to altered taste.

I would suggest you consult your doctor, discuss with him regarding the above conditions and request for a complete work up.

Hope I have answered your query; I will be available for the follow-up queries.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad