• question-icon

What causes loss of taste and nausea?

Posted on Mon, 31 Jul 2017 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: What causes slimy mouth, lack of taste and nausea?
Answered by Dr. Ornela Ademovi 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Medication the most probable cause

Detailed Answer:

I understand your concern. Slimy mouth is usually caused by a dysfunction of the salivary glands, usually due to medication, or due to a condition called Sjogrens syndrome.
I am more inclined to think that the blood pressure medication you are taking is the most probable culprit, which would also explain the lack of taste and possibly nausea.
I would like to know the names of the drugs you are currently taking so I can eliminate this possibility first, before advising you further.

I hope this helps. Waiting for your reply.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Follow up: Dr. Ornela Ademovi 20 hours later
In addiition to Humalog and Toujeo, I take amlodipine,atorvastatin, carvedilol,clopidogrel,fenofibrate, and valsartan.
Answered by Dr. Ornela Ademovi 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
Check your sugar levels

Detailed Answer:

First of all, I advise you to check your blood sugar levels whenever you feel nauseous and have a dry mouth.
When that is taken care off and excluded as a possible culprit, then I would consider talking to your doctor about an alternative to either fenofibrate or valsartan, as possible causes of nausea and affected taste.

I hope this helps. Please get back and report on whether there is any improvement of symptoms after a change in the drug regimen.
Wishing you good health and all the best.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Dr. Ornela Ademovi