What causes loss of sensory perception while sleeping?

Dr. Vasudha Jayant Athavale

Posted on Mon, 6 Jun 2016 in Brain and Spine
Question: While sleeping in the night or as I doze off to sleep, I want to touch my arm,hand, or leg but my hand can not find it. I have to open my eye to see in order for me to show where it is. This has been happening now for 9 months.
Answered by Dr. Vasudha Jayant Athavale 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
It's sleep disturbance. A sleep specialist would help.

Detailed Answer:
HI XXXXXXX
Thanks for asking. I have read your query & understood your concern.
All of our learning, memory & sensory perception depend on proper sleep.
It seems all the problem you have is due to sleep problem causing disturbed
sensory perception...leading to - cognitive changes/ disorientation & confusion while coming out of deep sleep( REM sleep )/ lack of deep sleep.
The causes can be metabolic/ illness & weakness leading to lack of sleep / psychological.. stress, anxiety/drug abuse or smoking./ Hormonal disturbances.
* Such condition needs consultation by a sleep specialist for detailed history, examination & few pathological tests to point out the specific cause
Followed by specific treatment of the cause found.Which can range from medication in order to treat the cause found./counseling/ sleep therapy...
I hope the answer has thrown light on basis of your problem .. & it would help you in tracing the solution for the problem. Any follow up query is welcome,
Thanks.