What causes loss of sensation in the toes of a diabetic?

Dr. Vasudha Jayant Athavale

Posted on Mon, 20 Mar 2017 in General Health
Question: My husband is diabetic. Soaked his feet in too hot water and Epsom. He lost most of the skin over his last 4 toes. It looks like raw meat. He says they are just 2nd degree and will not see Dr. Is he right and can I do anything at home this happened Wen. night?
Answered by Dr. Vasudha Jayant Athavale 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Consultation of his treating fiabetologist is essential.

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXX
Thanks for visiting heaalth care magic for your health query. I have read it &understand your concern.
The incidence suggests loss of sensations of the toes.. which caused burning of the toes.thus loosing the skin over it.

Though there are many other causes for such problem..( vitamin B12 defeciency,certain drug for.chemotherapy or aids ,nerve compressions &diabetes) your husband seems to have uncontrolled diabetes as a causative factor.
Raised blood sugar in uncontrolled diabetes is known to cause damage periferal nerves.. here the toes.&raised blood sugar also hampers healing of wound.
* So it'essential to check his blood sugar &to consult his diabetologist for change in his diabetic drug dosage along with medicines for healing the part (antibiotic,anti inflammatory drugs,vitamine
B 12 supplement )as per need & dresssing of the part .
Please consult his diabetes doctor for expert opinion &treatment.
* personal care .. includes strict control on sugar containing food intake/dressing of the wound as per expert advise/avoiding infection of the part./takind medicines exactly as advised.
Care of foot is most important in diabetic treatment please follow the tips given in
future too
Thus with expert advise &good local dressings your husband would come out of risk of nonhealing of the lesion which is not wished for a diabetic patient.So do consult an expert.
I hope that answers your query. Any other information you need please don't hesitate to ask.
Thanks.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D