What causes loss of memory power with normal Vit B12 levels?

Dr. Vaishalee Punj

Posted on Mon, 4 Aug 2014 in Brain and Spine
Question: Hello,

My querry is pertaining to my memory. I am helathy person with no medical history and vegitarian in diet. Off late i am experiencing decrease in memory power. At times i takes some time for me to re collect names of people with whom i talk to regularly etc. I would like to have yur views. previously I had a good memeory level. My work enviornmet is quite good and stress levels also reasonable. My B 12 report shows reading as under;
504/pg/ml ( method C.L.I.A - Lab -Thyrocare)
Answered by Dr. Vaishalee Punj 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
Need more details

Detailed Answer:
Hi again
Thanks for your query and review.

Your vitamin B12 levels are normal, though usually they are low in vegetarians. It is re-assuring.

Now we have to find a cause for your symptoms. Unable to recollect names is not a big issue and can happen when you are preoccupied mentally with other stuff.

Thus I will need more details about your symptoms.

- What issues do you have with your memory?
- What type of information you are unable to recall?
- Do you have any other symptoms?
- Do you have any other medical condition like sinusitis, headache, high blood pressure, etc?
- Do you have any history of injury to your head?
- Do you take alcohol or smoke?
- Do you take any medicine?
- Have you gotten your basic blood tests done? If so please upload the reports.

Waiting for your response.

Dr Vaishalee
Follow up: Dr. Vaishalee Punj 2 days later

Further details as required.

What issues do you have with your memory?
What type of information you are unable to recall?

According to me my memory ower has gone down. Quite often i forget things like office meeting, tasks, to do things etc, names of people / places which i quite frequesntly use . some times I manage to recollect them after some time in some cases after i get some hint on the subject i am able to recollect.

Do you have any other symptoms?

Asolutley No

Do you have any other medical condition like sinusitis, headache, high blood pressure, etc?

No. I am a helathy person.

Do you have any history of injury to your head?- Do you take alcohol or smoke?

No.
Do you take any medicine?- Have you gotten your basic blood tests done? If so please upload the reports.

I had got my medcial cahck ups done as per my employers requirement and absolutley all the reports were fine. Reports are not readily available with me.
During eye tests, I was told that shortly I may have to go for glasses some time shortly.
Hope above info is sufficient for you.

Thanks & Regards
Answered by Dr. Vaishalee Punj 9 hours later
Brief Answer:
Maybe lack of concentration or dementia

Detailed Answer:
Hi

I have read your followup in detail.

Though you have not send duration of symptoms, I am assuming that its been there for months. Thus I would assume it to be chronic.

You seem to be healthy with no chronic conditions to be causing it.

Thus I would count it as either just lack of concentration or some type of dementia. Dementias are also accompanied by other symptoms like some difficulty in finding words for talking, inability to find words for writing, etc.

I would suggest that you get evaluated for dementia by a neurologist. He will do a XXXXXXX mental status exam or may go in detail. He may suggest some tests like CT scan of the brain, etc according to the findings.

Hope it helps.

Dr Vaishalee
Follow up: Dr. Vaishalee Punj 13 hours later
Dr.Vaishalee,

Thanks for your advise.

At times i have experienced the symptoms explained by you above, like difficulty to find words for talking / to write, but its less frequesnt.

any how i will get consulted by a neurologist.

Thanks agin.
Brief Answer:
Please see a neurologist

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for consulting me.

Please see a neurologist and you can get back to me if you have more questions.

Thanks

Dr Vaishalee