What causes loss of balance leading to falling tendencies in the elderly?

Dr. Neeraj Kumar

Neurologist

Posted on Thu, 30 Mar 2017 in Brain and Spine
Question: Hi, I am a 62-year-old female and I have noticed myself aging at a rapid rate over the past 4-5 years or so. Now I seem to be developing symptoms of Parkinson's. I lose my balance a lot, walk like a drunk sometimes, fall, and fall out of bed. I tend to fall backwards. I have lost my sense of smell. The problem is, these symptoms tend to come and go. I have noticed people having trouble hearing me, and when I am following a clerk in a store I can never keep up. I hear music playing in my head, usually classic or spiritual.
Answered by Dr. Neeraj Kumar 38 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Get investigated and examined by a neurologist

Detailed Answer:
I have gone through your question and understand your concern.
Your symptoms indicates involvement of brain.
Parkinson disease may be one possibility but other etiologies like tumor or some mass needs to be evaluated.
You should get examined by a neurologist and get a mri of brain done.
Hope you found the answer helpful.
Do get back to me for further information.
Dr N Kumar
Neurologist
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy