What causes loss of balance in a person with Parkinson's disease?

Dr. Aashish Raghu

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Tue, 27 Oct 2015 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: Hi last December I had a lumbar fusion of my l4L5 & S1 had horrible pain to my right leg and lower back.
now the pain is gone but so is my balance my ortho sent me to a neurologist who diagnosed me with Parkinson's although the medicines prescribed have not improved my symptoms. I've had MRIs of my back
and brain along with Dat scan still no luck on diagnosing my loss of balance, unusual that my left side is now my weak side after the surgery when before it was my right side. Any ideas on what could have caused my balance issues

Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 33 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Inner ear problems, Vertigo

Detailed Answer:
Hi there.

Welcome to Healthcare Magic.

Do you have giddiness or headache ?

Any ringing sensation in the ear ?

Do you feel the sensation of the room or surroundings revolving around you anytime ?

Weakness of one side of the body along with the face could be due to brain issues like less blood supply on a part of the brain due to a clot.

Since the MRI Scan did not show any lesion, it could be due to inner ear problems causing Vertigo and loss of balance especially feeling of the surroundings revolving around you and ringing sensation in the ear.

I would advise you to get a thorough Neurological assessment by your Doctor or Neurologist and also an ENT checkup to rule out under eat problems and Vertigo.

Kindly upload the MRI Reports if possible for me to be in a better position to help you.

Dr. Aashish Raghu
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T