What causes loss of balance and weakness after taking Megestrol?

Dr. Michelle Gibson James

Posted on Mon, 16 Apr 2018 in Elderly Problems
Question: Hi My father start taking megestrol 40 mg for lost of appetite. And hi seams very week and difficult walking and lost of balance.
should hi stop megestrol? according to the site effects.
hi suffers from dementia.
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 53 minutes later
Brief Answer:
it is a possible cause

Detailed Answer:
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

Megestrol can cause an unsteady gait in some persons and it can also be associated with asthenia or loss of energy

This means that it is definitely possible that it is causing the effects that you mentioned

You can consider discontinuing it but you should speak to his doctor to let him the effects that he is experiencing and so that an alternative, if possible, can be given.
His doctor may also want to rule out another cause for the symptoms by physical examination and blood tests

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions