What causes loss of appetite in an elderly person?

Dr. Albana Sejdini

Posted on Mon, 27 Mar 2017 in Weight & Lifestyle
Question: I have heard that elderly people some times loose their appetite. That food doesn't does not taste the as good. This is the case with me. I needed to loose the weight. I weigh 185lbs. now. Is this true?
Answered by Dr. Albana Sejdini 42 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Detailed below

Detailed Answer:
Hi my dear,

I understand your concern.

Elderly people are having slow metabolism rate. This is associated with slow functioning of your body including gastrointestinal tract.

Furthermore, when flu or common viral Infection occur, it will take longer for the elderly people to recover.

Usually, these types of Infection are associated with loss of appetite that will persist longer than in people of other age groups.

This explains the loss in appetite in elderly people.

With regards to your specific case, please explain if you are having problems with loss of appetite?
What about the weight loss program you've been following: for how long? when you stopped following it?

Thank you.
Dr.Albana
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad