What causes loss of appetite and weakness?

Dr. Sumanth Amperayani

Pediatrician, Pulmonology

Posted on Mon, 6 Jun 2016 in Child Health
Question: My grandson, 15 1/2, has NEVER had an appetite. Now that he is 6'1" and a focused, relentless athlete, he has finally convinced his Mom to get him tested as he is tired of being TIRED. The blood tests revealed that he is Vitamin D deficient, allergic to gluten and dairy and his testosterone is low. After 1 month of avoiding gluten and dairy, his dark circles are lessening and he is sleeping better, but still has no energy and tends to be depressed. Any advice would be welcome.
Answered by Dr. Sumanth Amperayani 36 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I suggest giving 60000 IU vitamin D weekly once for 8-12 weeks

Detailed Answer:
Hi...as the tests have revealed vitamin D deficiency, I suggest treatment for it apart from gluten free diet.

I suggest giving 60000 IU of vitamin D weekly once for 8-12 weeks and then again a repeat vitamin D level. If normal he needs to be on required daily allowance of 1000IU per day there after.

This is a prescription drug and I suggest you consult with your pediatrician regarding this.

I feel this will definitely improve his general well being including mood.

Regards - Dr. Sumanth
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Naveen Kumar