• question-icon

What causes loss of appetite and nausea?

Posted on Tue, 18 Jul 2017 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: Hi - I have hardly any appetite so am barely eating and am losing weight which is nice but it's been going on for a while. In the past month I am also starting to vomit when I do eat sometimes so that affects my eating because I'm worried about vomiting. My stomach in general doesn't feel good and I'm having a hard time sleeping well because I'm feeling funky. I've been researching systems and am concerned it could be my thyroid or even Graves' disease. I'm worried mostly because of the unexpected vomiting and loss of appetite. I want to eat but only seem to be able to eat a little at a time.
Answered by Dr. Sunil 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Detailed body investigation is required

Detailed Answer:
Hi there,
Thanks for query.
Have gone through your narration.

Most likely cause in your case appears to be infection.Appetite loss and nausea can be caused by infections. Almost any infection can result in decreased appetite, along with fatigue and generally feeling malaise.
As problem is from a long period of time few investigations are required to be done to rule out involvement of major organs like liver .
I would strongly reccomend you to go for
Ultra sound abdomen-To rule out inflammation,fibrosis or any other pathology of abdominal organ.
Liver functin tests-Liver secrete enzymes useful for digestion.Nausea vomiting and loss of appetite can be due to hampered liver functions.
Renal function test and serum electrolyte-All symptoms can be caused by deramged kidney functions.
COmplete blood count
Total leucocyte count
Urine microscopy
Stool microscopy.
Fecal calproctin(to rule out intestinal inflammation.

Follow up with all these report sthey are all basic tests.
Till the time these tests are done i would suggest you to use only a probiotic once daily.

Follow up with reports asap.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Dr. Sunil

Gastroenterologist